WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

(Solved) Longines mainspring barrel disassembly - stopworks "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1691
posted
Hello all, I am currently cleaning a Longines pocket watch that I picked up here from Joseph Boone but am having trouble with the mainspring barrel. Have tried tapping the arbor out but it doesn't want to budge, and before I give it too big a whack would be interested if there are any tricks and/or tips.

I don't know much about Longines, but the movement is marked 19.21 (or could be 19.Z1).

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated, and a few photos follow:

Stopworks...

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Member 1691
posted
Barrel with the cross removed...

IHC Member 1691
posted
Barrel top - I have been tapping away on the arbor here to no avail...

IHC Member 456
posted
Usually there is a pin or wire holding the finger for the stopworks to the arbor. Remove the wire, then the finger should come off and you can remove the barrel cover. I think it comes out the opposite way of how you are tapping on it.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Member 1691
posted
Thanks for the info Peter, but after a close look couldn't find any pin. So, took a breath and was able to lever the tongue off the arbor and the snap plate as well so all is good.

Still, should have come apart they way they usually do looking at the guts. Maybe it was just tight. Better safe than sorry...

Thanks again.

Regards

Peter in Oz