Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

getting an elgin gr. 96 in beat, how? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
hi everyone, Todd here.
so, i have been doing a lot of reading re:horology. the first watch i COA'd was a 1929 elgin s10. getting it in beat was a challenge. in the 1884 gr 96 it is a pallet lever, not fork and the banking pins are a mile away from the roller jewel. how do i get that in beat?
Thanks
Todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015
posted
Todd I think this is the full plate Elgin you have been working on. One way I do it on a full plate movement is to look in from the side of the movement at the banking pins (assuming banking pins are adjusted) and make sure the pallet is centered as much as possible between the banking pins. Also many movements have small holes to check pallet jewel position. When reassembled put just a tick of power on the mainspring and the pallet jewel should be resting right on an escape tooth. There are other ways, but these ways might give you a direction to start with.

When you get your timing machine it should help you check and set the beat on your watches.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Member 1851
posted
Adding to what Rob suggested. With minimal mainspring power rotate balance just far enough to lock a pallet, now let balance go and look for the other pallet lock, Now try it from the other side, get it all centered up.

Imagine how this also works for putting a pendulum in perfect beat.

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
Picture of Todd Verriere
posted
thanks guys, yes Rob, this is the full plate. great learning curve on this one. the banking pins look like they are adjustable and i think i get it. it will not be going back together for a while, leaving thursday for a warmer climate for a few weeks. minus 20 celsius here today. taking the nickel case with me, going to polish the crap out of it.
todd

dalarry

Posts: 290 | Location: Montreal in Canada | Registered: January 11, 2015