Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Staffs & Hairsprings. SOLVED "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
After replacing a staff or for some other reason the hairspring was removed, What is the proper way to line the collet up with the balance wheel? If the balance wheel cross bar or main support bar is pointing north to south (Up & down) where is the split in the collet supposed to point? In books I have seen it shown at due east or due west and some show it at about 4 o'clock. (S-SE)
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
It is more complicated than that. You are putting the watch in beat. Which means the pallet fork has to be centered up between both banking pins. As near dead on that you can get it.

I'm sure some one will come up with a drawing. That will help to explain it better than I did. Good luck.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Thanks Eugene. Thats really all the info I needed. I have the picture and several like it and know what you mean by "Putting the watch in beat" Back to school for me.
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011