Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller table location "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Is there a formula, or correct method of locating the roller table and hence the roller jewel? At present I seem to go on the trial and error method with more error than trial.
Walter

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Walter,

Are you asking where it is noramlly postioned on the balance, (most common 90 deg between balance arms)or asking about setting the beat up?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Chris, I not being a what you would call a proficient watchmaker but a beginner in this fascinating science. The normal position on the balance would be the answer I would be looking for.And if there was a simple formula that could be used to start me off correctly. The problem is when I have a bag of parts with everything in shambles. In particular full plate watches. When the balance is complete I have few problems as I can visualize the works before I mess things up! It is when I run into a new type where do I start?
Walter

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Chris,Thanks for the smack across the head!I was having a brain cramp and the light bulb just came on.
Walter

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
This may help. If you place the balance cock on the plate (without the balance) and look at the line between the center of the balance cock jewel through the pallet and escape jewel then look at that in relation to the hairspring stud position then compare that to the position of the roller jewel on your balance to the position of the hairspring stud should give you a idea of how close you are to start off, of course only a rough idea this but may help.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Chris, Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with us.
Walter