• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What loupe or loupes do you use? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What loupe or loupes do you use(brand, type etc.)? I was just wondering what loupes would be good to get for doing some watch repairs....Also a good place to buy them.....I think that a Hastings triplet loupe is very desirable but I may not have the budget for a really good one...I have lost several(triplets) over the years even with a lanyard attached to them....Has anyone tried the newer built in led versions?...

P.S.: If I posted this under the wrong heading I'm sorry....Please move if necessary...Thanks..

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I have a 4x/7x B&L glass loupe that clips onto reading glasses. It works well, but takes some getting used to, especially the short working distance using both lenses.

A good stereozoom microscope with an LED ring light source is on my wishlist, but many folks don't seem to like working on watches under them.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Same here Evan, it's kind of unstable on my wire frame glasses though. I wish I had a binocular visor.

B&L Double-Lens Spectacle Loupe, 4X, 7X

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Evan and Ed thanks for the input....I also had some of the clip on style but had the same problems as Ed does with keeping them on my glasses frame....I saw some visor's(not the real expensive type) but didn't care for the quality of lenses....They seemed to be made of cheap plastic and they didn't seem too sturdy on my head.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
You may want to get a pair of dedicated glasses for the bench with sturdy frames. I did, and I like the loupes better.

There are also these, but they're spendy and untested in a watchmaking application:

Surgical Loupes

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
My dentist uses those. Back in the day, they were also called gun maker's glasses.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Evan those surgical glasses would have to go on my "if I hit the lottery what would I buy" wish list....hehe

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I picked up a vintage Behr double lens clip on from eBay awhile ago, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 power, before that I had a 5 power single lens I found at a flea market, left it lay on coffee table one day, our dog had a great time destroying it.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
ouch... Eek