• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 540/590/571... crystal glasses "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Could you be so kind as to answer these questions?

Do all these Elgin cased movements share the same glass?
Is it easy, difficult, impossible or very expensive to find a new or acceptable glass for them?
In case you find one, is it difficult to glue it to the case?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4 | Location: Spain | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
While I was waiting for an answer, I found it by myself:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...26047761/m/288107503

Besides that, my question wasn't accurate enough. I should have asked about the cases, but now i think I won't look for nos crystal, but have it tailor made when I need it.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Juame,

Glad that you were able to research our site and get your question answered.

I can tell you our members are pleased with William White's crystals.

Here is a more direct link:

Newly Manufactured White's Glass Pocket Watch Crystals

Regards,

Debbie
Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Jaume, and I will echo the sentiments shared with you by Dr. Debbie, plus....you asked three questions....

1. No, the Elgin cased movements do not share the same glass.
2. It is easy and not very expensive to find new glass crystals for ones pocketwatches. In fact you already have....
3. It is not hard to glue a crystal but you need certain equipment to do it properly....

Take a look at this link and it will give you some pointers....Installing a Glass Crystal....

Thanks for stoping by and do come back to see us....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks. I already know that it is easy to find a replacement glass. I have found some sites on the net offering replacements, but, what about an original one? Do you know someone who has a stock of nos or used crystals? Even easier: what's the crystal glass parts number of a Keystone JBoss 10K case, nº56069 housing an Elgin 590 ? Is there any way to identify it?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Round glass crystals for pocket watches were originally designed for a friction fit into the bezel. Friction alone should hold the crystal securely in place if it's the correct size.

If you have to use glue to get it to stay in, it's too small for the bezel opening you have. This is something my late watchmaker told me when I asked about gluing crystals.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thanks Edward. I have emailed davewatchparts and I think I will be able to find a correct crystal now.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Jaume,

If you are unable to find a suitable glass crystal from old stock, let me know and I'll make a new one for you. The cost is modest and the crystals are correct as original.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008