• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Minute Man "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Been working on a Hampden Minute Man, 17J, size 16. Runs great, keeps good time, but am having problems with the stem - only turns one way. It winds the main spring ok, but will not turn the reverse direction. I am pretty sure I have it together correctly. Any ideas? (photos below)

Thanks

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mark
Does it act the same in both winding & with the stem out in the setting position?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Mark,

I don't know about Hampden watches per se, but the click spring on the bottom photo appears to be wrapped around the gear teeth, maybe jamming it and maybe doing nothing else.

Should this spring actually be on the setting lever on the other side of the watch - to return the lever when the crown is pushed back in?

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Tom: Setting mode is ok. It will turn in either direction.

John: The spring in the bottom picture does have me confused. I take photos of a watch whenever I take it apart. Maybe the person before me put in in incorrectly. However, there is no place to put it in the upper photo. Maybe it has just gotten weak over the years and needs replaced.

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mark
With the bridge off does the ratchet wheel turn freely both directions, once I had one that the ratchet wheel was sticking & not turning one direction. Just a thought.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007