Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Repair questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A couple of questions.
First, is there a big difference working on a double roller movement versus a single roller?
Second, Is a jeweled barrel dificult to disassemble or prety self explanatory when you get into it?
Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Very Proud IHC Charter #55
We rise highest when we stoop to help others.

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Well in the mean time I figured out the jeweled barrel and the watch had been cleaned and reassembled and is running nicely. Now how about the single/double roller difference? Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

I've never given the difference much thought when doing a normal clean and lube. There's really no special precautions that I can think of at the moment over and above those taken for a single roller.

I believe most of the Elgin double rollers I've worked on were of the single piece design. Some watch companies, however, have a two piece roller design and possibly some Elgins models that I have yet to work on.

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks John, Its a 992 so it will be a little different.
John, I tore that other 240 down today cleaned it and oiled. This thing runs beautiful. Right on the money and has great motion. Thanks for the confidence John. To think The only watch I ever took apart before that lesson is running also. That came apart a couple of years ago. What a new found joy.
Gimme some watches to fix. Big Grin

Next a 17j full plate BWR. This ought to be fun. Big Grin

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Aaron,

Is that a bit of excitement on sense in your post?

Congratulations on your success!

Did you ever get the Elgin 15J running okay? If so, what did you find wrong with it?

Go get’em tiger!!!!!!!

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Yah John, this is alot of fun and definately wrth while. About the Elgin. This thing was a grease ball when I got it and I didnt really expect it to run. And all of the sudden, Whamo! it runs. As far as the click/klank its still there. I believe it is with the escapement/ balance. Maybe balance pivots worn as the jewels look ok. I gotta get set up to change a staff and maybe I'll hit you up for a lesson. Thanks again,

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432