Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Short or Long Hub? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mike Dalke
posted
I have an 18s, fifth model Elgin that was my great-grandfather's that I am trying to repair. My father dropped it in a little tussle with my mother over what time it was when they were courting over 50 years ago. It has not run since. I tore it down and discoverd (as expected) that a pivot is broken on the balance staff.

I consulted my E.& J. Swigart Co., Illustraded Manual of American Watch Movements, and determined that the part number for the staff is #857. I then searched the Frei & Borel site and found two different Elgin balance staffs numbered 857. One described as "Long hub full plate regular." The other as "Short hub full plate."

My question is: How do I determine which staff I need, Short hub or Long hub?

More watch info: Serial number 13144251, 18s, fith model, grade 294, 7j.

Thanks for any help, Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Loveland, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: June 15, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Mike,

If you order a #857 staff without first measuring your old one, you have a one in fourteen chance of getting the correct one.

Here are some of the different dimensions between the #857 staffs:

HUB THICKNESS: 1.28mm (short hub) and 1.51mm (long hub).

TOTAL LENGTH: Old Style (5.97mm) and New Style (6.10mm)

PIVOT SIZES: Old Style (.13mm or .14mm)
New Style (.11mm thru .15mm)

My guess is that you need a New Style, long hub with a pivot size of .12mm or .13mm. Elgin introduced the Long Hub to bring the roller table closer to the pallet fork. This required a shorter roller jewel which was less likely to break.

Again, please measure your old staff first before ordering.

Here is a link to one of my Helping Hand presentations covering the balance staff.

Balance Staff

Hope this helps. If you can't find what you're looking for, drop me an email with your dimensions and I'll see what I have.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

[This message was edited by John D. Duvall on July 19, 2003 at 18:24.]

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Mike Dalke
posted
Thanks John, your information certainly gets me pointed in the right direction.

This is my first attempt at staffing, and I do have another 18s, fifth model Elgin movement that I picked up at the MKOA regional last month as a practice watch. This movement also has a broken balance staff and I plan to "practice" staffing it before working on the family "hierloom."

If I have further questions, you can be sure I will ask you.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Loveland, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: June 15, 2003