Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Advise needed on a lathe motor. ( Received ) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
I have managed to pick up an 8mm lathe but without a motor.

Can anyone give me advise as to the speed and power requirements of a motor for such a lathe.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Mike do you have 110v in the UK?? All US lathe would be 110V. I have a motor for a watchmakers lathe.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi Billy, were all 250v over here. I would have to buy a transformer and they're heavy lumps. Also to ship a motor from the US would cost me a fortune. Thanks for your offer though.

I would be interested to know the detail on your motor plate so that I could source the correct type.

I have been looking at sewing machine motors but I saw somewhere that a 1/2 hp motor was used on a lathe and that seemed very high powered.

I really need to find the correct spec.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
The lathe motors I've seen are typically in the 1/10 HP range. I'd look for sewing machine motors in the UK--they should work fine.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
If you try to do any lathe work that a sewing machine motor won't handle then you are overloading the lathe. You should be able to find one in the UK or perhaps a motor from a large floor fan. 1/10th HP and up will do the job.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I would recommend a small brushless DC motor with a compatible BLDC speed controller.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks very much to the folks that have replied.

I think that I now have enough information to start looking for the correct motor.

I really do appreciate the help which I receive from you all in this club.