Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting screwdriver sharpener "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As with most of us who cannot afford US$300.00+ swiss sharpeners, I sharpen my screwdriver tips with a stone and the 2-wheeled gadjet which with some experience and patience can finish tips for the persnickity watch screws we have to deal with.

But . . as with those of us who remember all to often the dangers of wedge shaped screwdriver tips, a true "hollow ground" tip remains most desirable.

I noticed this little device on eBay and won it. It was patented just before WWII and surely disappeared under the war materials priorities which had little room for a hollow grind screwdriver sharpener with adjustable tip thickness that works like a pencil shapener, and WORKS!

I am seriously thinking of having this produced again with a little better precision and design as it would be a welcome tool indeed for hobbyists world-wide. Any thoughts?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
That is a very neat sharpener, simple and well built. I can't help but wonder what it would cost to make it today.
Here is a link to a discussion we had a while ago about screw driver tips and sharpening.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/...891030603#3891030603

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
I have one !

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Terry can you show a picture of yours please.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Sorry Dave, in my eagerness I mis-hit the keys, meant to say 'I'll have one'! Big Grin. If you decide to proceed and get some of these made

Best wishes

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Looks a good idea, the Horotec/bergeon one takes a lot of practice to get a flat blade tip as a slight twist occurs with direction change.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I dress up my blades on my lathe with a grinding wheel made for that purpose.With a little practice anyone could do this. Of course if you like buying these expensive toys.........?

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
posted
I would love to buy one of these expensive toys,can I reserve one?

Posts: 45 | Location: Warren, Michigan in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2008