• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Educational disassembly "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am exploring an Elgin 315,12s, 15j movement. I am studying the keyless works. Can someone explain the purpose of the lever (red circle) which extends through a slot in the side of the bottom plate? I am also curious about the hole where the yellow arrow is pointing, Is there a part missing?

Posts: 9 | Location: Lewisburg, Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 09, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Timothy,

I don't really work on the 12 size Elgins that much, but I think I can tell you what the lever is for. It is to wind the movement down, take the tension off the main spring, so that you can work on the movement without damage if you are going to take it apart.

As far as the other part missing I have no idea, but I'm sure there are people here who will be more than willing, and able, to answer that question for you.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Larry,

Thanks for the reply. How would you accomplish the main spring letdown with the lever? I needed three hands as I used a square stem tool which took pressure to push inward to place the watch in winding mode, while at the same time giving the watch a slight winding to relieve the pressure on the click. Then I used some pegwood to move and hold the click as I let the stem tool slowly twist in my fingers, all the while holding my breath lest something slip.

IHC Member 1691
posted
On pendant set Elgins I have worked on the little lever is to help set the time using a bench key when it is out of the case, ie you can't pull the crown up to set the time when it's out of the case.

Regards

Peter

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
posted
Gentlemen,

I think I understand the function now. On a pendant set movement,out of the case, the wind/set clutch is normally in the set mode. If the red circled lever is turned, then spring action moves the clutch to the wind mode. Through earlier trial I discovered that if I pushed with the bench key I could overcome spring pressure and move the clutch to winding mode.
I was able to reassembled the movement with the aid of some photo's and my 14 year old son. The works were "simpler" than I imagined, but the fine workmanship and engineering keep me in awe. I was able to determine that the balance staff had a broken top pivot and that the impulse jewel is broken. I did bend the center wheel while trying to push the canon pinion back on. How is this normally accomplished?

Thank you,
Timothy