• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Screws Missing? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is an automatic that had a bit more rattle than usual. I opened the caseback and can see that the case screws are missing. I find many watches without case screws and was wondering why they end up missing.

Also -

1 - What info do I need to purchase replacement case screws beside "Bulova, grade 11BLACD"?

2 - Where's the best place to purchase them?

3 - Are case screws also known as case clamps? I can't find the phrase "case clamps" in either Fried's or de Carle's books. I want to use the correct or widely accepted terminology.

4 - Does the lack of case screws do damage to the watch - dial, movement, etc?

Thanks

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Barbara,
Will take a stab at your questions.
I don`t know what happened to all those missing case scews. Maybe they died and went to watch heaven, except for those "half-heads", they go to the other place!
You can buy swiss screw assortments from places like S. LaRose, Inc. But that is a hit and miss proposition, usually miss. Your watch will need screws with the proper heads and they must be precise as there is very little clearance between them and the winding weight. If the heads are not thin enough they will interfere with swing of the weight.
You might try Tom Mister`s "Dashto" site. He has oodles of watch parts at good prices but you will need to "eyeball" his lists as he doesn`t handle individual requests or part lookups.
There probably are more specific places to find Bulova parts but I am not familiar with them since pocket watches are my area.
Would think wearing the watch without case screws could possibly damage the hands or dial, depends on how the movement is fitted to the case. And it just wouldn`t feel right with the rattling, etc.
Wish I could be of more help!

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
I notice Dashto has the following listings for Bulova case screws. Don`t have the foggiest idea if these are the type you need.

030.82 $ 3.00 13469 Bulova 17AH #46, case screws, 2 pc., nos, p&i, genuine.

030.129 $ 4.00 Bulova 17AH #46, case screws, 3 pc., nos, p&i, genuine. (Quantity 2)

030.279 $ 3.00 Bulova 10AK case screwss, 4 pc., part #46, genuine, p&i, nos.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Hi Kenny,

Watch heaven, hehehe! Big Grin Probably stalling for time . . . . or screwin' around. Big Grin

Bless your heart for taking time to answer. I checked Dashto, Ofrei & Borel also - saw the parts you mentioned @ Dashto before I posted. They are for grades 17 AH & 10 AK (I think these are mechanical wind but not 100% certain if these are men's or ladies). My watch is a gent's 11BLACD grade - automatic - I don't know if the parts are interchangeable.

I agree with you - potential damage to other parts of the watch is possible with the addition of the wrong part. I think the wrong part could be worse than no part. Can you imagine going from rattle to a scraping sound? Eek yikes

Oh - I did see that there is such a thing as case clamps - on ebay, for Omega. So that much I've learned - case clamps and case screws may function in the same manner in that they secure the movement but are entirely different parts from one another.

Thanks, Kenny!

Barbara

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Hi Barb,

I did a quick check on eBay and came up with this watch. This watch is too expensive just for case screws but you might try an advanced search for "Oceanographer 333" and see what comes up. Sooner or later you will find the parts you need at the right price.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks, John. You inspired me to do some research. Roll Eyes

After discussion with a fellow 185er, the missing screws may not be missing afterall. I reviewed my other Bulova automatics and saw a recurrent theme of "missing screws". I also went online - these ebay auctions all show automatic movements with empty screw holes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...item=5007465464&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...item=5007469097&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...item=5008887765&rd=1

Lindell's auction in Feb. also shows the automatic movement missing case screws: https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/342602.../722006907#722006907

IMHO, this seems like too many to be coincidental. The conclusion (right or wrong) is perhaps these ebauches were made as a "one size fits all" with parts placed where needed or per mfg specs when assembled & finished by the manfacturer. The screws are seemingly not needed on the automatic Bulovas.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm here to learn. Smile

Barbara

posted
ooops - forgot to add this:

The rattle may be due to a different missing part such as a movement, case or stabilizing ring. Smile

Barbara

posted
It sure is good to see a post from John Duvall again, you have been missed.

Welcome back John and I hope you are settled into your new location.

Tony

Posts: 27 | Location: Lakeland, Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Good to see you back John. Smile

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Barbara,

I do not think the case screws are missing. The movement ring looks like it is the stabilizing type that does not require screws. It probably has a worn gasket and that is why the movement is loose in the case.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Smile Thanks Rich! Smile

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here's a similar one we sold in our Chapter 185 Auctions a few months ago. If you look closely you'll see the movement has a place to use case-screws in other applications but they were not employed with this one either.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I agree with Rich. I pulled the back on three of my Bulova selfwinding watches. All have the holes for screws and none have screws. As Rich said, the movement is held in position in the case by the retainer ring. Maybe the retainer ring is incorrect for the watch.

Tom