Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hands Won't Move Now / Suggestion worked "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Got an Elgin 12s that had a very loose hour hand. Kept hanging up on the second hand or the minute hand. You could lift it off the pinion with a pair of tweezers.
Tightened up the hour hand and now neither the hour or minute hands move.
The watch sets easily with a little friction. I don't think the canon pinion is loose.

What's my next step?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
You tightened the hour hand so much that it is locking the hour wheel to the cannon pinion. That completely locks the minute-intermediate-hour wheel mechanism. Pull off the hour hand and polish it out until it is a (very) light press fit

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Dave,
Exactly the info I was looking for. I knew the symptoms didn't point to a loose canon pinion.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Finally got it! There's a fine line between hands too tight and too loose!

Dave Turner