Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cannon Pinon & Minute Wheel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have a Hamilton 940 that I was cleaning & after putting the cannon pinon & minute wheel back on when trying to set the time the action is very tight. Upon examining the wheels, with the minute wheel removed everything turns smoothly but when I place the minute wheel back on it becomes hard to adjust the time. It would appear to me that the cannon pinon does not want to rotate. Can the cannon pinon be pushed too far onto the center staff? With it in the position it is in it's teeth seem to line up fine with the minute wheel.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Did you lube the cannon pinion shaft with grease first

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
No, I guess I had never heard of doing that. I removed it & lubed it but it is still hard to turn.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
One other thing I noticed, when you try to set the time by turning counter clockwise, it will actually stop the balance. My other 940 doesn't do this.

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Tom,
I suggest that you take a small broach and carefully enlargen the diameter of the cannon pinion. Broach it out a little and try it, then broach some more if necessary. You need to get it so that it has enough friction to turn with the center wheel and still be able to turn freely when setting the time without forcing the gear train along. If you broach too much, you will need to tighten the cannon pinion again. You need to use the same approach when tightening. Take this sort of work gently and go little by little and keep testing it.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Scott!

I have had ones too lose before but never too tight, I wasn't sure how to handle it. I will give it a try Monday after work.

Tom