Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Broken Balance Cap Jewel Screw "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Hi Everyone,

Does this broken screw look like it may be a major problem to remove? I don't have the watch yet and am wondering if I should pass on it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Any broken screw is likely to be hard to remove. However, Leon Harris, a member of this board, can weld a steel handle to the broken screw and remove the screw safely. He has saved my bacon a couple of times.

Joe Jones

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Richard,

Joe's method will positively do the trick.

But one thing I would try first is to simply see if a sharp, square screwdriver blade might turn it. Begin with ever so slight clockwise motion and then immediately ease back anti-clockwise. The point to remember is stop if you meet firm resistance and do not force it.

Let us know how this "works out" my friend.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Richard lossen up the screw that is good that will relive some of the pressure on the other screw..Remove the balance cock then remove the balance wheel and hairspring from the cock then remove the regulator, then you can place the balance cock on a flat surface without damangeing the regulator pins then you might be able too put enough pressure on the screw with the blunt end of a screwdriver too break it loose,,go easy and have control of the screwdriver so you wont damange the finish on the cock.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Gentleman,

Thank you for the great suggestions and advice. I'll update the post when the screw is removed.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I would have put it in the ultrasonic and see if the vibration would loosen it a bit. Then I would try Kroil or some sort of penetrant. If this thing does not come out, it might be glued in. Soak in one dip or alcohol, then try.

You have to figure that stripped jewel screws or replaced screws are common, since they are steel going into soft brass. Over the years, many of these things got glued, and sometimes one that is really stuck is just in there with crazy glue on the threads or high strengh threadlocker.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
I ended up getting the screw out and luckily it wasn't too tight or glued in. Once it was loosened it threaded out easily. A replacement screw was installed and the watch runs O.K. for now until it gets a COA. I'll post some pictures on a recent Sangamo post.

Thanks you all,

Rich