Internet Horology Club 185
Cleaning a gilt movement

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/1723973787

April 01, 2016, 17:01
Ken Snowden
Cleaning a gilt movement
I am working on an E. Howard N size gilt movement that was covered with what might be dried grease or oil. I have run the movement through an ultrasonic cleaner and soaked the affected parts in Naptha when they were still dirty, but to no avail. Because it is a gilt movement, I cannot use a hard abrasive. I am hoping that someone in this group has had the same experience and may have some suggestions on what I can do.

April 01, 2016, 17:02
Ken Snowden
main plate

April 02, 2016, 23:39
David E. Booth, Jr.
Tat is a toughie. I had a French clock come in for repair that had gilt plates with a similar problem. I was never able to find anything that would clean it. A little judicious scraping in a hidden spot, and a look-see under a 40x stereo microscope seemed to indicate that the gilt finish was gone under those spots, but I was never sure. I documented the problem with photographs and told the client. I returned the clock repaired and mechanically good, but was unable to do anything about the discoloration.
April 03, 2016, 01:54
Lorne Wasylishen
Successful Gilded Plate Cleaning
April 03, 2016, 10:05
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Thanks Lorne for providing the link to one of our previous informative discussions!

Smile