• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

watch jewelling "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have several watches that need to have a jewel replaced.These are the friction fit kind.I looked in Fried,s book but did not find much information on it.I would like to try a inexpensive watch first.I do know of someone who has a jewelling tool.
Could some one explain the procedure for me?
Thanks again for all help. Smile

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Hi Kevin hope this helps. Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
photp #2

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Thanks Ted, i will have a look at the article you posted for me.I found a little information on the green board, but not alot.
Great looking clock you have posted now. Smile

posted
Kevin,

Fried's other book "Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers" has a complete chapter on friction jewelling and it is well written. It also has excellent information on most of the jewelling challenges that you are bound to run across. It is readily available from most book sources. If you have a local book store that you frequent, they should be able to order it also.

The ISBN number is 0-9656219-1-X

The method that Ted has outlined is used for fitting bezel set plate jewels, which are found on the older watches. The friction set jewels were found on more modern watches such as the 1623 grade Waltham Vanguard and the 571 grade Elgin BW Raymond.

A good type of watch to practice learning friction fit jewelling on would be one of the more modern Swiss made Unitas 17 jewel pocket watch movements which are easy to find.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002