Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lathe Related Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening:

I wasn't really sure where to post this question. I thought about the repair board, but it seems like this one is busier.
Here is my question: I purchased a Levin lathe from a Mart sale at our local chapter. The leather belt however has let go where it looks like it was spliced in the past. My question(s) is:
1-Can the belt be re-connected? If so using what?
2-Where can I purchase a new belt? I have looked around my area at local stores, but have had no success.
3-Can I use a rubber belt, or is leather the preferred material for less vibration?

Thank you in advance!
Grant

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Hi Grant, i can,t answer all your questions but i think i can help.Depending on the size Lee Valley has some link belt that you put together to the length you need, i believe it is in 2 sizes and sold by the foot.
I also noticed Merrits has some which you melt the ends.I do not know of any benefits ny using rubber or leather.I know the old belts on lathes were leather, back in my old school days on the south bend lathes.

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks for the tip Kevin. Hopefully I find some by next weekend, as it may save both of us lots of time polishing those clock pivots Smile

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
The leather can be reglued with elmers white glue- the splice should be a long taper 1/2 to 3/4" that matches both ends. Clamp it lightly and the repair should come out round like the rest of the belt if done right, be sure the belt is around your lathe pulley before joining!
Regards, George

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003