• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an Elgin 16s Grade 575 that I am trying to remove from the case. The stem seems to be sticking in the movement. What am I doing wrong? Does the screw noted in the photo have anything to do with it?
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Joe,

You got it, that is the detent on Elgin 571 and related movements such as yours.

My suggestion is to proceed slowly and carefully. Turn the screw you mentioned one full turn counter-clockwise and see if you can then wiggle the crown and stem out of the movement. If it does not release, turn the screw another half turn and try it again. Go in half turn increments until it releases. Usually by two or two and one half turns it will release. If to go too far the mechanism under your dial will have to be put back together.

When reassembling, after recasing the movement install the crown and stem assembly. Carefully tighten the screw in question until it engages and make sure the stem will not pull out of the case.

I hope this explanation is of help to you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lin, 2 1/2 turns did the trick.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004