Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Ethics Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have a case ethics question. With gold hitting new records everyday and old cases being destroyed for the gold content a lot of original gold cases are gone. This leaves more movements then there will ever be gold cases to put them in. Not to mention whether or not the movement was in nickle, silver or gold to begin with.

So my question is I have a lot of movements and a lot of cases is it alright to put the best movement into the best cases and not worry about what type of movement originally came in the case? I know all the different brands will not fit every case but by trial and error and adjusting sleeves or putting new stems in cases without stems I can do it I just don't know if my watches would be readily accepted if I do this.

Thank you,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Do the best you can. As the market evolves to accomodate the changes attitudes have to change as well. As long as you are aware what you are doing will not be accepted by purists. I for one beleive that keeping these old movements running is worthwhile and if therefore as a necessity, they have to be recased so be it, and I will make every attempt to find a period correct style. In the meantime I have several in plastic movement cases to protect them, until I can find a suitable case for them. As a bottom line if you are honest in your description no one will be able to fault you.

Thats my 2c worth others of course have their own opinions.

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Harry, that is a personal preference. In my opinion it does not matter one bit. Whatever looks good and pleases the owner. These watch parts were routinely changed and no one thought anything about it. Dials cases hands and movements.
We have a lot of purists here at 185. I respect their thoughts on this matter, however unless you were there watching the jeweler or bought your watch straight from the factory..........Who knows?
We have a lot of factory catalog photos here that will give you some accurate originality, if that is what you want.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Thank you both. I will give you an example of my position. I purchased a Hamilton 922 movement that runs fine. I have found a nice dial. Now I need to fine the correct hands. I may have the hands but I may not have the correct second hand. I can not afford to hunt down a $200 to $300 case to have it correct. If I did I would have $500 in a $350 watch. It would be cheaper to go out and bid on the watch already together. I also have not got the experience to tell if the proper movement is in the proper year case and the proper dial with the proper hands. So if I get the same movement and put a Hamilton dial with Hamilton hands in a nice case I got for $30 I would have a nice Hamilton 922 or whatever model I am putting back together. Does that make any since?
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011