Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Buying a Lathe? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
I am looking to buy a lathe and thought I would ask a few question before I dive in:

What things can I check to ensure a used lathe is not worn out?
Has anyone heard of a Reese brand?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ronny,
Buying a lathe is easy its finding a full set of collets is the hard bit!. As for wear you need to make sure it rolls freely and has NO wobble or movement at all in the head you wont really know until you strip it clean and start to use it, if possible test align with tailstock and head using two centers check all have same serial number, look for abuse, rust etc if it’s not perfect it’s no use for watch work, maybe rough grinding type work etc.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ronny Manis
posted
Chris,

I am just getting into watch repair as a hoby. With that being said what would you recommend for a 1st lathe? Thanks.

Posts: 171 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: July 25, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ronny,
I would Call Keith tell him Chris recommended him and what you are looking for, he will make sure you get a good lathe all serviced and ready to go

Click for link

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003