Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

holed jewels "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
First I will give you the details then a question. On a parts website I was trying to order the upper balance holed jewel for a Hamilton Grade 974(original cracked). The site lists two entries. They are as follows:
Hamilton 16s,old part number 465,upper balance hole jewels,2pc,hole 11,fits all excepy 950B,and 992B,genuine,p&i,nos.
next:
Hamilton 16s,old part number 465,upper balance hole jewel,3pcs,hole 11 1/2,fits all excepy 950B, and 992B, genuine p&i,nos.
My question is, What do the Hole numbers stand for,and what scale are they measured on; there being a 1/2 diffrence between them. Thanks for any replies.

Frank Juchniewicz

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I could be wrong but I believe the number sizes reflect the pivot sizes of the balance staff measured in millimeters. Size 11 would be 0.11mm's. While 11 1/2 would be 0.115mm's. The "2pcs" and "3pcs" are abbreviations for how many he has available. I know little about Hamiltons but I would assume they use 5 jewels total for their balance assembly: 2 hole jewels and 2 cap jewels and 1 roller jewel.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Thank's for the reply John. What you said of the hole numbers are the pivot sizes for the hole jewels. I measured the one good pivot on the balance staff with a pair of digital calipers,and it came up 11mm. Had I done that in the begining,I would have answered my own question,but glad I asked,and received the answer from someone who knows.

Frank Juchniewicz

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003