Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin wrist watch dial cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I have an Elgin 539 wrist watch with the hack function. The dial on this is funky. Can anyone point me in a general direction for dial cleaning.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
picture 2 from a different angle. You can see the funk a bit better

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Hello Bruce try a #2 pencil eraser just don,t rub too hard works pretty good. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
For a softer touch than the eraser try Rodico. Do not even think about using any kind of solution to clean the dial. If it is too bad, have it restored, but it does not look that bad to me.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Don, I'm certain you have excellent reasons for your aversion to dial cleaning in a solution. I have only run into trouble when I try to get the solution to do too much. In the rare case I have made a dial worse, it involved a dial that would have been destined for a refinisher anyway.

This particular dial is, I agree, not in too bad shape. The two problems I see are, first, a bit of radium burn that indicates the watch hands were set at a few minutes to eight for an extended period of time. Second is the dingy tone of the radium itself in both the hands and the numerals. Sadly, although a simple cleaning in solution wouldn't hurt, it wouldn't help at all either.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004