Internet Horology Club 185
Newly Manufactured White's Glass Pocket Watch Crystals

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3006013713/m/2871042023

September 02, 2008, 17:31
William D. White
Newly Manufactured White's Glass Pocket Watch Crystals

I am currently making open face and hunters pocket watch glass crystals. I'm offering them at a fair price with no premium charged for rare sizes.

To place an order, please call 415 255 8045 or email me.

info@whitescrystals.com

July 17, 2010, 16:23
David Abbe
White's Crystals are worth many times their price!

I commend White's Crystal service. The 15 crystals they have made for me so far which included 5 custom sizes (4 for 8-day clocks), ALL "snicked in" with out any trouble or gummy glue! The value added and quality is superb! The White's crystal alone took my fully restored Hampden 2-tone Model 1 from Excellent to EXTRA FINE Collector Grade!

I have 20 more on order now.

July 17, 2010, 20:45
Eric Unselt
Agreed - I've only ordered from William a couple of times, but the fit and clarity were perfect. The turn-around time is very fast and the prices are impossible to beat. William can even make those thick 4mm crystals for the Silverode cases I like so much. Smile
July 17, 2010, 21:58
Mike LaForest
I ordered 10 at a time last winter and was totally pleased. It is unbelievable how a new glass crystal improves the look of any watch. It suggests to the unsuspecting looker that you actually take care of your watch. Razz
M.
August 12, 2013, 17:26
William D. White
Available again! HERE and HERE

info@whitescrystals.com
August 13, 2013, 00:50
Christopher Darwin
I have William White's crystals on several of my watches. The quality is absolutely top notch. When you read a watch, you're looking through the crystal. Nothing improves the appearance easier than installing a new one!
October 18, 2015, 02:32
Philip A. Long
I have a private label pocket watch by Joseph Schuster, circa 1896, size 16s.
What would you need to source a new crystal as the current one has a split in it, it is not glass.
Regards

Phil
October 18, 2015, 22:53
William D. White
Hi Philip,

I will need to know the exact diameter required in either .01mm 0r .001" increments. Also, you can select from any available thickness: 1.2, 1.35, 1.5 & 1.75mm are available for standard 16s convex beveled crystals. The cost is $12 + $12 shipping to Australia. If you would like to send me the bezel and have me fit/install a new crystal for you, the cost is $24 + $12 ship. All crystals are made from the finest European optical/technical grade glass.

Thanks for the inquiry!

William

info@whitescrystals.com
June 23, 2016, 01:48
Philip A. Long
William, sorry for the delay in replying, I have been distracted with retiring from the RAAF and moving out of Sydney to the regional town that we now live in. Could you describe where to measure the bezel to get the correct size. Also the watch currently has a thin 'plastic' lens that has cracked and fallen out.
Here is the discussion I started with photos of this watch; Brought in Sydney, AUSTRALIA [Illinois Schuster Private Label]
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Phil

Phil
June 23, 2016, 04:40
William D. White
Hello Phil,

Measuring for a hunting crystal can be tricky; you'll need to measure the diameter as well as the height. I can tell you how to measure both but this is custom material and I don't want you to get stuck with a crystal that doesn't fit. Would you be willing to send me the watch for precise installation? It's $40 plus shipping. If you'd like to do this on your own then here's the process for correct measurement:

Measure the bezel opening in 3-4 different areas (while fitted to the watch) and take an average. Don't be tempted to go a little oversize with the hope of getting a friction fit; 0.4mm hunting crystals don't like to be snapped in place ....mine are pretty durable since they have no edge fissures but they are very thin and can break if forced, so err on the low side of your average and cement the crystal in place. You will also need to measure the needed inside clearance from the bottom of the bezel seat to the tip of the cannon pinion and then add about 0.5mm. The following guide will help you in determining height:

H-8 = 0.8mm
H-7 = 1.2mm
H-6 = 1.6mm
H-5 = 2.0mm
H-4 = 2.4mm

I don't mean to insinuate that this is an overly daunting process; you should be fine, but just re-measure everything to be sure.

Thanks and I'll be glad to help out in any capacity.

William

info@whitescrystals.com