Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992 Variants, info please! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
I remember an article that I read sometime ago which outlined the differences between the 4 or 5 different variations of the Hamilton 992.

I tried "Searching" the site, but I am either using the wrong terms or something because I am not finding it or related info at all.

Can anyone remember this article? It started with the early 992's with the two screw winding wheel, and so on. I am familiar with the 992-E Characteristics and the "Early" model. There is at least a couple more variations in between these that I am wanting info on. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Paul,

I'm not sure what you're after but the information below is all I could find for now. The second model 992 eventually changed the crown and winding wheels to what is shown on the third model below. Of course we know there are other subtleties for example the early models had a four foot dial.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks, Richard! That is exactly what I was needing to help me sort out the "2nd Model." The reason I thought there was possibly 5 models, is because of the 992E's that have the "narrow" stripes, of which there are only a few. Again, thanks for the great graphic!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
You are welcome Paul,

The illustration posted above was found here: "Evolution of Hamilton 992L Series Movements"

Your question has got me doing some research and it's interesting that I could not find an illustration of the second model 992 with the more common winding wheels in the Hamilton catalogs I have access to.

The 992 has gone through many changes and the title to your post makes this a great topic to explore some variations.

Thank you,

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
The early first model 992 is a single roller movement. Notice this movement is not marked "992" and the one picture below is.

Photo courtesy of Chris Abell

posted
Lindell explains characteristics of the early models,

"The early movements do not have a polished center wheel but they more than make up for it with one of the all-time most beautiful and intricate damaskeening patterns. You have identified a couple other features of the earlier movements as well. The early style click and the lack of positional markings. Your movement was produced about the time the grade was first required to be marked on movements entering Rail-Road Time Service. The "5-Positions" was soon added to movements in production as well. Perhaps others might be able to expand on that a bit further. Someone else may also know specifically what patent is referenced in the 1886 date."

found here: How rare is this Hamilton 992

Photo courtesy of Chris Abell

posted
Eventually the first model was fitted with a double roller and also "5 Positions" was added to the markings.

Photo courtesy of Phil Sanchez

posted
Moving on to the second model

Information on the change to the second model can be found here: Early 992 Question The last post on February 06, 2003 13:37 clears up some details as to the change to the three footed dial.

Movement #1591616 photo courtesy of ebay Note: Gold Center Wheel

posted
The 992 was also made in pendant set configuration. Here's a topic which discusses the pendant set 992: Pendant set Hamilton 992

Photo courtesy of Buster Beck

posted
The winding and crown wheels on the movement below are what you will see on most second model 992 movements. This wheel style carried over to the 992E then the 992B. When Hamilton factory advertised Railroad model cases were introduced they were fitted with this style movment.

posted
Some movements were marked "MADE IN U.S.A." which was stamped near the crown wheel.

Photo courtesy of John Flahive III

posted
Finally, the third model.

The first 992E movements have the narrow damaskeening pattern like the 992 with the only marking difference being "ELINVAR" on the balance bridge.

posted
Most of the 992E movements are finished with the wide damaskeening pattern. The "ELINVAR" has a different font on this movement.

Photo courtesy ebay

posted
So although there are three models so far it looks like eight or nine different 992 variants to me.

Everyone feel free to add other variants such as the Special 2-tone, Extra, or Gold Flashed movements.

RR

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Wow, Richard! This is plain "Super Great!"

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I have a few I will dig out and post very soon Richard.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
I have one s/n 1291525=1918,model 2,with a 436 dial.
Roger

f

Posts: 4087 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Here's a Hamilton Two~Tone "992" #354301 "Special Finish". Finished & Sold 12/13/1905 to Bowler & Burdick Co. Cleveland, OH. There were 908 of the 992's with the "Special Finish" produced.

regards,
bb

posted
It looks like the movement Buster posted above is a predecessor to the "Extra" marked movements.

Movement #388021 courtesy of Jones and Horan

posted
The movement below is also marked "Extra" and has a screws that appear gilded. This movement was posted here: Interesting Hamilton 992 marked extra

Photo of movement #388012 courtesy ebay

posted
Roger,

Now that you mentioned the 436 dial here is a link to: Pre 1924 992's which shows correct dials for early movements.

posted
The second model also had a special variant finish.

Photo courtesy of Jones and Horan

posted
And then it was marked "SPECIAL" as well as 992. 992 Special or is it?

RR

IHC Member 1357
posted
Richard,I assume the 436 dial is correct for this
movement since it is in the transitional period.
Would I be correct?
Richard,I want to thank you for all you do here!
Regards
Roger

Posts: 4087 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Here's another interesting variant #1070922 coming on the tail end of the transitional period in 1914. A few were made like this one with the one screw transmission screw in the 1st Model damaskeening pattern before they were fully swapped over to the 2nd Model with it's unadorned narrow stripe damaskeening pattern.

regards,
bb

posted
Roger,

Yes, #436 dials are correct for 992 movements prior to the 992E. Like the 992 movement the 436 dial changed throughout the years. The key is the dial should be correct for the year of movement it’s on.

A previous post describes some Early 992 Hamilton Dials. The most notable difference in the dial is the Hamilton signature was script to begin with and eventually changed to block.

Buster,

That’s a nice looking variant you posted above. The one screw design looks cleaner than the previous two screw versions.

RR