Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

H.E Peck - Repair & Refurb "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi ..

Stumbled across the forum whilst searching for information about this watch. It belonged to my GG Grandfather & has been in my Fathers possession. Its broken, possibly been wound too much which I understand these suffer from. And as you can see from the images its in a bit of a state, hands look to be rusting!? & the glass may have been replaced for plastic, the sound and feel is wrong.

Can anyone suggest somewhere in London I could take this into for an evaluation ? .. father has a big birthday coming up and I'm wondering about a refurb as he seems very attached to it.

Posts: 3 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 27, 2013
posted
Hi, I haven't personally used anybody in London, but the BHI has a register of accredited repairers on their website (Here), all of the people on this list have earned a qualification for the BHI which does require a very high standard, I doubt there will be any problem. Good luck, hope it all works out and he has a good birthday, hope this helps,
Joe

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Perfect - Thanks Joe!

Posts: 3 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 27, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jack, your watch may be best to just have the hands replaced, and then kept in a nice shadow box display.

In looking for its repair, prepare yourself for a "shock" in repair costs because the watch movement is what is referred to as a "Cylindre" escapement design. While much favored (only the good lord knows why) by Swiss watchmakers of the mid-19th century, the particular design is virtually unrepairable without replacement parts.

Once returned to working condition, the time accuracy is very limited as the parts of the balance wheel are ALWAYS "rubbing against themselves making the discrepancies of variable friction a very large effect on the regulated speed of the movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Joe if all it needs is taken a pair cleaned and oiled. I could do this. David is correct on getting parts you would have to make them.

V/R

Billy

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
posted
Thought I'd follow up on this post.

I contacted a few of the people on the authorised list and didnt get a great response, or in mist cases any response.

I took a walk through Burlington Arcade just off of Piccadilly. Eventually directed to Russel Talerman (http://www.russelltalerman.com/workshop.php) ..

And as predicted the repair cost was, erm, eye watering .. But I went ahead and the results are pretty impressive.

Father is happy and #1 Son Status is assured ..

Thanks for the advice people

posted
Well done Smile

The eye watering part is never relevant when applied on family heirloom pieces.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1892
posted
I totally agree with Gerald on this one. I am fortunate to have my fathers, stepfathers, a grandfathers and a grandmothers pocket watches. Neither you or your father will ever think of the dollars it took to restore this watch. Congratulations.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Well done
money well spend on family heirloom.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011