• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hy Moser "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondering when this Hy Moser movement style was in production. I've seen it in 16s (illustrated) as well as 12s-ish sizes. Thanks for any input. I was curious how the movement introduction was timed relative to the Russian revolution. Moser was a major player in the Imperial Russian market which disappeared after `1917.
best,Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

By using our "Find or Search" feature and typing in "hy moser" I found additional topics that might be of help to you.

Click here: hy moser

Smile

Posts: 5204 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Hi Kevin

This is a very fine watch. Henry Moser/Burlington 21j ad time and 6 pos.

Is the watch pendant set? I would like to have the serial#

I can only assume that the earliest date of manufacture was 1917 when Burlington offered 21j watches.
It seems that the movement based on the HY Moser 20'' calibre known as 15j movement from ca 1905.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Debbie,
thanks for your link to the Moser search.

Gerald,
the serial number is 1730343. The watch is lever set at ~6-minutes. The dial is signed Burlington, and has the 23-24 hr inner track. The movement is in a Canadian Burlington case, and the inference is that it was produced for sale in Canada bu the Canadian branch of the Burlington Watch Co. I was curious as to why Moser movements would be offered. Do you think that these were a new market opened after the Russian market disappeared after the revolution?

posted
dial

posted
Here's an approximately 12s movement.

posted
The 12 s movement is made later: It has the US-import three letter code that was applied since ~1935.
For the original question:
Henry Moser died 1874. In 1877 the manufactured were divided and sold (They still had to use the HY Moser trademark, that was part of the deal. Only the russian branch was expropriated. The Locle branch made watches not only for russia and it may be only coincidence that those 21j movements were sold to Burlington at the time when (or short after) the russian revolution took place.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald,

thank you for your kind replies. Your information should help in trying to find a replacement balance staff.

best,
Kevin