• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Riddell & Vinet / Express Leader "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Has anyone heard of this watchmaker. One of my co-workers was given this watch from a gentleman who said it was in the family for four generations. I'll get a look at it tomorrow. He said it has a very thick crystal and looked like silver. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Back to work!!

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Okay today I saw the watch. It is an open face Longines. The number on the movement is 2044314. Seventeen jewel, adjusted to five position, Express Leader. The balance staff is wasted and I suspect there may be a jewel problem. Next move is to try to find a staff and get it running for him. The name Riddell & Vinet must have been the jeweler. I does have a neet 24hr dial, with some damage near the lever.

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bob,

The Longines Express Leader is a really fine Railroad watch.

From the Longines and 24-Hour Dial it is most likely Canadian. Take a look at Larry Buchan's seven pages of "CANADIAN Private-Label Watches" in our Chapter 185 "Timekeepers Photo Gallery" for similar examples.

By the way Riddell is the original spelling of my family name. Smile

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bob:

Is there any chance you could post a picture of this interesting private label?

Larry Buchan

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002