Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Reeley & Son Chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have promised to post a movement on the forum for weeks and have just been traveling too much to do it. But, I finally got a weekend free so here goes.

I recently acquired this chrononometer and would like to know if anyone has any information on the maker. I have seen some info that Reeley was a reseller but some other info would seem to indicate that Reeley was a watch maker.

I like the movement and case, it has not been cleaned and the dial and hands have dirt accumulated on them.

I basically know nothing beyond what can be seen and determined by the case and movement. Any insights would be helpful. Thank you.

Rick

Image 1

Posts: 93 | Location: Frisco, Texas in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2006
posted
Here is the another image, there are quite a few.

posted
Another

posted
And another.

posted
I am experimenting with pictures, how do you like them?

posted
The watch needs cleaned.

posted
More, this reeds Reeley & Son, London
Chronometer makers to the Admirality

posted
Here is another

posted
Closer

posted
As you can see, I need to polish the case but don't know the best way to do this.

posted
And the dial

posted
Richard,
A nice watch... a few ID things Reely was listed in London & Liverpool 1889 - 1907 and claimed that they were "Estd 1790"..London makers were thought to be better makers..Most likely why the dial is signed London and the case is marked Chester. Liverpool makers often used the Chester Hallmark office.. The hall mark in the case appears to be Chester "O" which would indicate 1913.. I can not make out the makers mark W..something.. As far as being a Chronometer, the movement features along with the dial inscription says that it is a Chronograph.. the difference being a Chronograph is used to measure time Periods, with a start - stop function..A Chronometer is a precision timekeeping device.. Usually used in navigation....Generally there is a great difference in the fit and finish between the two..as timing something for an hour or so requires a different accuracy than continous, days at a time, accuracy.. Hope that helps...

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I may be mistaken, but I think I see the
Birmingham Anchor on the case. I would help
if we could identify the case maker. Can not
make out the second letter of the case makers initials. The date letter appears to be 1913

Posts: 39 | Location: Somersworth, New Hampshire USA | Registered: February 18, 2005
posted
You are right Frank, looking at the Birmingham table and "thinking" Chester....Is that what they mean by "multi tasking" ?? Big Grin

posted
Thank you gentlemen, that is very helpful. I did take some additional pictures that give greater detail to the stamps on the case. I can't make out the second initial but from the looks of it it may have been an I but that is a guess.

There is a button on the side of the case next to the stem that appears to do nothing so that may activate a timing mechanism.

I have found reference to a chronograph sold that was signed P W Reeley & Sons London & Liverpool Est 1790 Manufd in Coventry. Perhaps that was the father.

If anyone works on these can you tell me if I am in for any big surprises when I open it?

Can I ask a few questions about your sources?

What book are you finding this company listed in?

Is there a good book that covers European hallmarks? I have been looking for one but don't want to end up with a library on this topic if I can avoid it.

I am finding good resource material hard to find.

Thanks.

posted
And the crown.

posted
And the most difficult to photograph clearly, the Q. At least it looks like a Q to me.

posted
Richard,

2 very good must haves,

Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World...Complete 21st Century Edition by Brian Loomes.. Lists somewhere in the neiborhood of 75 - 100 thousand maker names with active dates..

For hallmarks, ect.. Watch Case Makers of England by Philip Priestly.............. This is a NAWCC Supplement Spring 1994... Absolutely the best work on English case makers and hallmarks I have ever seen..it also explains hallmarking and how to read them..

The letter date is the one in a Shield next to the anchor mark....

The button on the side is a Slide, may not slide to well as they gum up..It is hooked to a stiff wire that usually stops the escape wheel..

Cleaning and servicing is not any more difficult than any other lever watch..

posted
Thank you. I am looking forward to getting into it.

posted
Look at page 4 of Philip Priestley's book "Watch Case Makers of England". He says the stop work was manufactured by C. J. Richardson of Coventry. The mark on the watch in the book Is JMK incuse and marked for Chester.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
I have put the book on my Christmas wish list at Amazon. I wish I could just buy it but at this time of year that can be a bad move.

I really appreciate the info.

It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving next week.

posted
Richard,

Looks like you've found a nice honest, original and unmollested example of an 'English lever' there, thanks for posting the pictures.

I can't add much to what has already been said, except that the button on the side of the case actually moves a thin wire against the bottom of the ballance staff area to stop the watch.

It should make a very nice example indeed when cleaned up, don't see too many in that condition in the UK now, think the good stuff has been grabbed by collectors! - do post some photo's when it's been spruced up!

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006