Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

C.H. Meylan Pocket Watch Movements "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I haven't been able to find any information on C.H. Meylan pocket watch movement calibers. If you know a source of such information, please let me know.

In the absence of such information, I am in the process of adopting the crude expedient of assigning caliber numbers myself to the examples in my collection. So far, I have identified about a dozen diffent styles, many of them virtually identical.

If you collect C.H. Meylans and would like to see my do-it-yourself classification or, better yet, would like to help me by commenting on my efforts and adding examples from your own collection, please e-mail me at ethanlipsig@paulhastings.com.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 660

posted
Ethan,
While I recognize that there is a startup European watch forum here, try posting on the NAWCC "other" board under "European and Other Watches". A number of people participate there, and I believe that somebody there has specific C. H. Meylan information.

I understand your collecting these, they are beautifully finished throughout. As related items, look for Meylan-Waltham chronographs, and Touchon watches.

MIke

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Mike, I will post the same message on the "other" board.

As for the related items you mentioned, I collect Touchons as well (I have 8), but I have never heard of Meylan-Waltham Chronographs. What are they? Can you post a few photos?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ethan,

Here are results in our "Find-Or-Search" for the "C. H. Meylan" reference...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=C.+H.+Meylan

Defining or widening that search criteria to "Meylan" brings up all of these...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=Meylan

Always consider using the "Find-Or-Search" tab on our main page!

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 660

posted
I have no photos of Waltham-Meylans, and was surprised that even Tom McIntyre did not. However, at Tom's site you will find photos of Waltham-Meylan 5 minute repeaters. The chronographs are on these movements, being standard Meylan looking chronograph mechanisms. I believe that these were applied to waltham movements by Meylan when he had a New York shop, probably during the late 1880's. When the economy crashed, around 1892, Waltham quit all case making and complicated movement work.

Mike

IHC Member 660

posted
Please excuse my senior moment, Touchon is related to Agassiz, not Meylan. Doesn't hurt the beauty of them, however.

Mike