• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Johnson Railway Timekeeper Information "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I bought this watch primarily for the Johnson name but it seems like a decent watch.I would like to know a little more about it. I am attaching a few pictures. Maybe someone could tell me the age of the watch and the case maker (EL) I don't recall ever seeing a Johnson maker in Preston. Is this a fairly well known maker? It has a broken staff, would it be worth trying to find a repair person? Thanks much....Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Hallmarks

posted
watch

posted
Keith

Very nice britisch watch with a diamond balance cap

The watch case silver hallmarks read:

Sterling silver (.925), London, 1873

absolutly worth to be fixed, hope we can find more about it.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Keith,

Beautiful example of an English Lever Fusee!
Not often seen with a jewelled train like this, although some of the 'Liverpool' made movements have much larger jewels which extend to the lever and the fusee cone.

There are plenty of 'Johnson' makers listed, and a few in the Lancashire area, but not this chap, unless he's in the latest Loomes watchmakers edition.
Perhaps if Tom Brown looks in he may be able to add something.

The most likely casemaker I can find using E.L incursive and for the right time frame to the hallmarks is:
Edward Lee, 4, Paddy Croft,& Mechanics Arms Yard, Spon St, Coventry, and who registered the mark on 25th May 1876.

Is it worth restoring, Heck Yes!

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Latest Loomes has Johnson, John Preston (Lancs) 1868

Tom

ps. Glad to see you on the site John!

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Many thanks Tom, will be dropping you a note shortly!

I'm not entirely sure about this casemaker as he's a touch late for the hallmark, but I can't find any other candidates yet.
I suppose it depends how accurate the book is as regards registrants' details, or the possibility that he put his mark on the case later on?
Not sure how legal this would have been though.

Unless there's another earlier registration - or earlier maker using the same mark until Lee took it on.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006