Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I need help wiith this one "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Desmond Lundy
posted
As some of you may know, my collecting interests are focused on Early American high grade 1859 - 1872 but I found this specimen interesting. I know it is a chronometer and it Swiss but beyond that.... who built it?

Posts: 785 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 25, 2003
Picture of Desmond Lundy
posted
I know that is it is a recase. The case is a Ladd that, at the very least, requires TLC.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Desmond, You got a very intriguing watch. The Ladd Case says it is Canadian Market watch but that is strange for the incredible over-Jeweling of the movement that is less typical of Swiss watch people and Canadian customers unless some Swiss person got very serious about things like that.

A couple interesting details;

1. It looks like a three-pin dial with "american" side entrance dial screws.

2. A cap on the 4th wheel suggests a customer request to add as many jewels as they can clutter the watch with.

3. The micro regulator is very clever.

I think it is a Breguet Balance spring, but am totally in the dark if it is really a chronometer grade for that fact.

I could look under the dial for a maker's mark or name. Please let us know what it is if you do that.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Desmond Lundy
posted
David - It is definitely a chronometer movement and not a lever. I showed it to one of the very top watch makers in North America and he was very fascinated. He admonished me to keep my fingers out of it. He did not know who made it but he wants to take it apart when he has an opportunity.

posted
Desmond

Great watch

even the 'simpliest' chronometer movements are fascinating watches and seldom found. Keep them whenever one comes along.

Here a picture of a similiar movement, bridge and balance removed to show details.

Regards Gerald

Chronometer escapement detail

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Chronometer marked 'Huguenin Vuillenin' on the dust cover.
Aside from beeing KWKS the design is pretty close and so far the nearest approach.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009