Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Does a verge fusee have a mainspring "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Does a verge fusee have a mainspring besides a Chain. The chain is good with both hooks but has come off one of the barrels . I have not split the plates yet.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Well, don't ask me how it works, but there must be something propelling the gear train via the chain. So, I'll bet there is a main spring.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Yes there is a mainspring in one end where the chain connects. One end hooks to the fusee and the other end to the mainspring barrel and the mainspring is inside that barrel.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom. I'm tearing in to my first fusee.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Good luck!
I actually enjoy working on them, just get ready for a lot of brass pins.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom I'm having trouble getting the pins out that holds the plate together. I'm very tenacious.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Gene if you have some small electricians pliers you can sometimes grab the pin and pull it out. Probably not the correct way but it does work. If you need pins you can make them out of brass wire or if you give me your address I will send you a few I have and they may work.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also the pins are usually tapered and only come out one direction. As Deacon said, sometimes I use smooth jawed pliers to work them loose.

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom and Deacon. I have gotten the plates apart and have gotten the 2 teeth on the crown gears straightened. I heated the crown gear then used a pair of tweezers to straighten. The reason I was having trouble was there was no extra sticking out on either side. Because the filagree plate has to fit over three of the posts. The watch is back together except for the balance and the gear train is turning just fine.