WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Requesting Comments on James Perret, Locle, Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a 19L pocket watch by James Perret that I recently purchased. I was wondering if he made the movement, or purchased them and added his name. The numbers on the case match the numbers on the movement. The case is in great shape with nice stiff hinges and no major damage. The balance staff is broken and was wondering if this is a worthy watch for restoration? I am guessing it is from around 1860.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a shot of the bar-style movement.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This is the back of the coin-silver case.

IHC Life Member
posted
This is the signed dust cover. The serial number is 8889.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here are the markings on the underside of the back cover. The top symbol looks to like a "T" with a "P" laying horizontally across it. Would that indicate an exact year of production? I was also wondering what the "LH" stands for in the "Warranted" area? Any information would be greatly appreciated Smile

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Bruce,

Although this is not my field of expertise, I do recognize that as a Swiss ebauche or essentially generic movement sold under various names, that is the norm among many watch companies even today. It was not unusual for there to be improvements "tweaking" by the company identified on dial and or case. Speaking of cases, yours looks to be correctly marked whereas many Swiss watches of that era were not what they appeared to be.

This one is especially interesting because it may be possible to research the name for additional information.

Hopefully these comments will help as a beginning.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Lin, thanks for your feedback on this watch. Being that this is a generic Swiss ebauche, maybe that will allow my watchmaker to purchase a NOS staff rather than having to make one from scratch. I am still hoping that some club member out there will have a reference book that identifies the case markings and year of production. I am also hoping to find out more about James Perret. So far, all I have found is info on Perret & Fils watches. I don't normally collect Swiss pocket watches, but the price was right, and the watch appeared to be in really good condition (except for the staff).

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Looking in Loomes 21st Cen Ed of Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World I don't find a James Perret.

Below is a James Perret I found in the 1871 census for District 39, Deritend, Aston, Warwickshire in England. He is listed as being born about 1839 in Locle Cantin of ?? Switzerland. He is listed as jewellery ???? clerk.

I tried to include a copy of the census since I can not make out all the words.

I don't know if this is your James Perret or not.

census

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, concerning that mystery word between "Jewellery" and "clerk," would you say the first letter is an "H" or an "A?" It looks like the last two letters are S's.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bruce

I pulled the census back up & I am not sure, at 1st I thought it started with a H But if you look at the H in Head they are different, I wonder if it is a F, could it say Factory?

I tried to find another census with him to see if it had it written better but so far I haven't found one.

Tom

posted
I see "jewellery Hucters clerk" meaning jewelry sales clerk. Huckster being a sales person, allowing for 19th century spelling errors, and word etymology.
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
not much online about him-- Roll Eyes

Jewelry, Pocket Watches, Sterling, Diamonds
Spiffy Auctions
Reynoldsburg, OH
Sat, Jan 22, 2005 10:00 AM Eastern

SOLD: $315.00
Lot # 2
James Perret Watch, 18k case!
James Perret Watch, case marked James Perret Locle, 18K, key wound-no key, VERY ornate inlaid blue stone case, chain with t bar, VERY ornate cube shaped fob. Also comes with old velvet and leather case.

and then this ***** please ignore the name and read Eek

James Nardin, Locle, Extremely Fine Gold Minute Repeating Pocket Watch With Chronograph, Perpetual Calendar & Moon Phase

James Nardin, Locle, Extremely Fine Gold Minute Repeating Pocket Watch With Chronograph, Perpetual Calendar & Moon Phase, circa 1880's Case: massive 18k rose gold, four body hunter, 60 mm, hinged inner gold cuvette, gold slide on the band to activate the repeater, push button for the chronograph function, Jurgensen style lips, plain back, front cover engraved with ornate overlay design, No. 1501Dial: white enamel, Roman numerals, blue steel spade hands, outer minute track and five minute numerals, upper four year and month indication, day and date dials, constant seconds and moon phases at sixMovement: nickel finished bridge movement jeweled thru the hammers, 38 jewels, straight line lever escapement, counter poised pallet, bi-metallic compensated balance with gold adjustment screws, polished steel hammers, pin set from the rim Signed: gold cuvette is signed James Nardin, LocleNote: James Nardin, also known as James Nardin - Perret, was a cousin of Ulysse Nardin who was also located in Le Locle. Both were superior horologists known for chronometers and complicated timepieces. James Nardin received a U.S. patent for an early stem wind watch in 1869. Estimated price : from 30000.00 USD to 35000.00 USD

Starting price : $ 15 000.00 Smile

and this on eBay a movement similar to a U.Nardin signed James Perret,Locle Big Grin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Ja...61035#ht_3640wt_1141

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow, great information Tom! Even though my movement appears to be a "generic ebauche" as suggested by Lin, it would still be pretty cool if my watch was by James Nardin Perret. Sounds like he was an accomplished watchmaker. Question for the other Tom (Tom Brown): Anything listed in the census showing James Nardin Perret? Thanks guys!!! Smile

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The only listing I can find on James is the one I posted from 1871.

Apparently he was born in Locle Neuchatel Switzerland & I see other mentions of Perret in Neuchatel searching Google.

I did find this book written in French which I do not read, it mentions James Nardin-Perret. Maybe someone can read it, the link to the page about him is;
http://books.google.com/books?...din%20perret&f=false

posted
It looks like it may say Auction Clerk?

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Since I don't really collect Swiss pocket watches, I've decided sell this one. It doesn't have a key, but I think it takes a fairly common #4 size. Besides the staff, the mainspring may be unhooked, or possibly broken. I believe the watch is circa 1860. If anyone is interested, it is $85.00 with Free Shipping in the U.S. to IHC185 members.