• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

International Watch Co ~ Help identify "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is a nice looking watch I know nothing about? It's marked on the dial, marked on the solid gold case #894113 and has a hallmark on the movement #871235. The 09 price guide is a bit confusing for this lookup. Thank you in advance and let me know if you need any other information about the watch.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
Movement #871235

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
Hi Carlos !

Very nice watch:

IWC cal.73 H4; OF "finger bridge" movement.
diameter 38 mm (16 3/4 lig) 4,2 mm height
Serial# 871235 dates production year 1928.

cal. 73 was made 1913 to 1930 approx. 52500
Dial, case, bow and hands fit the 1928 year.
Hunter variant of this movement is cal.74

can you tell me the case# ?

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Hi Gerald, thank you for the information. Can you tell me the number of jewels it has? i still am unable to look up in the price guide? Here's a picture of the case#871235.

posted
Carlos

Solid 14K gold case
The case number fits the given production year. jewel count 16.

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thank you! This is very helpful.

posted
Beautiful watch Carlos, and you'll be pleased to know that IWC watches are highly sought after by collectors these days!

Even beat up non running movements command quite high values now, just try finding an affordable spares donor for one!

You will also find 'IWC' watches advertised for sale as 'Peerless', 'SS&Co' or 'Stauffer'.

Stauffer (Stauffer Son & Co) were the London UK importers of IWC, and the movements (produced for Stauffer by IWC) and marketed by them are usually marked 'Peerless' under the balance, and S&Co (inside a shield) on a bridge.
Non of these bear the 'IWC Probus' mark though!

The links below will take you to the IWC website.

https://www.iwc.com/index-en.asp

Thanks for posting the photo's.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thank you for the posts. I do plan on posting this piece for auction. Keep your eye out! Smile