Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Swiss Elco Railroad watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I've heard that on some Canadian railroads, there were 16S 21 jewel "Elco" Swiss-made watches in use.Would any members have any info on these?Thanks!....Ted Brown.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted

Two tiny bits of information:

Goldsmith & Co of Toronto labeled 21j Swiss-made movements 'Bedforde Railroad watch'. They were approved for Canadian National Railway. Some of this movements were marked 'Elco'

There was an Elco Clocks & Watches Ltd. 51 Hatton Garden, London, manufacturer of clocks and importer, may be that via them some swiss movements came to Canada.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you for the information, Gerald.There doesn't seem to be much out there on them...Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 2149
posted
Good afternoon,
I know this posting discussion is quite old, but I have a couple questions regarding the "ELCO" watches. I have a 17 Jewel pendant set ELCO.
It is a very nice 16S watch, and is my desk timer mounted in a PW holder. Were the ELCO CNR watches all lever set? Has anyone been able to establish a year of manufacture ? I recently had conversation with a gentleman who has his uncle's 17J ELCO that he advises was used by his uncle while working as a conductor for CN and the uncle died in the late 1950"s. His watch, like mine. is not lever set.
Thanks for viewing.........Joe..........

Posts: 70 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: June 14, 2016
posted
Joe,
Somewhere I have a copy of Elco watches being allowed on the CPR. But they were to be 21 jewel lever set, I believe the letter was written in the early 1950's. I will look for it and post if I can find it.
This was for the CPR, but I can not imagine that the CN would be any different.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Here is a thread discussing these watches but not resolving much.

Bedford Railroad questions

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Hi Joe,
I am now reading a copy of the memo from Mr. Kushnir it states,
I have been informed that some of our men are in possession of watches which never appeared on a list of CP rail approved watches and these are:

16 size Bedford, swiss made 21 jewels
16 size Burlington, swiss made 21 jewels
16 size Elco, swiss made 21 jewels
16 size Studebaker, American made 21 jewels.

The above watches are used in Western Canada

From this I read that Bedford was different from Elco, and the Swiss Burlingtons were the Burlington Hy Moser watches.

That should make this all as clear as mud.
Hope this helps,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 2149
posted
Bill & Lorne,
I apologize profusely for not thanking you for responding to my question about the ELCO watch sooner. It has only taken me just over TWO YEARS to realize you had responded and I had not replied.
I hope this late acknowledgment and thank you will be accepted.
….Joe.....

Posts: 70 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: June 14, 2016