Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unknown English pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I have this unknown, to me anyway, English pocket watch, about 18 size, keywind and keyset, in a silver open face case, the back opens by pushing a button in the crown. Only jewels visible are in the balance bridge. Movement is marked Warranted-187846- English Make. Tried to get some pics of hallmarks on case. Not running, mainspring seems broken or missing. Any thoughts, opinions, or conjecture? I have another that is very similar, but can't get the dust cover open, it runs and keeps reasonable time.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Pic2

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Pic3

posted
pic4

posted
Pic5

posted
Pic6

posted
Hi Gary

A nice if only because original british watch.

The watch case is marked for sterling silver, Birmingham, 1889.

At the end of the century the britisch watchmakers had problems caused by swiss watches and american import watches. They tried to start a 'Buy British' move which explains the *Warranted Englisch Make'.

I think the watch was made in the coventry region.

Does the watch wind clockwise?

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald, Thanks for the info and yes, winds clockwise.

Gary

posted
I like these watches - even the lower grades when they are unaltered and not misused as 'donor-watch'.

The watch shows the decline of the traditional british keywound watch. It has the lowest jewel count (7 ?) and was reducet to the max. It could be compared with the american Home Watch Co watches.

Traditional kw watches in England wind counterclockwise since the days of the fusees. Even when the chain tranission became obsolete British watchmakers put in a dummy wheel to obtain the winding direction. Only the latest examples of (british) keywound watches were made with a clockwise winding going barrel.
Some years later they were all history and the keyless watches took over the market.

Gary I would like to see your other comparable watch in anther post. Maybe we can work out how to open it and have a look.

Regards
Gerald

posted
Gerald,
Will gladly post my other watch, if I can get it open.

Gary

posted
Gary

Show pictures as it is (if possible with the front bezel open)! If you can not open it the watch might be hinged and the movement unlocks from the front.

Open another thread, show pictures and we can tackle the problem.

Don't try to force something !!

Regards
Gerald

posted
Gerald,
I feel like a real dunce, you are right, I opened the front bezel and right there is a release to unhinge the movement. Will open a new post with this watch.

Gary

posted
I think you would find the watch was made by Rotherham's? The were in Coventary.But as you will know what happened to Coventry.They stopped overnight? My mate was shipped down to Brum as directed labor in the War. Very little was left after the firestorm.regards Albert

Posts: 3 | Location: Victoria in Australia | Registered: January 03, 2014
posted
This is an English Watch Co movement, late successors to the Tremont Watches in the US.

Posts: 21 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: August 30, 2003