• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identifying this Christie Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please Help me Identify the Approximate Year, type of movement, and any more details you can discern about this 18K gold R.L. Christie pocket watch made in Edinburgh, Scotland. In my Baillie book, there is listed a Gabriel Christie in 1736 in Edinburgh, so maybe R.L. is his relative. Thanks! You can see photos of this watch at:
Christie Pocket Watch
Thanks for your help!! Smile

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not much help, but in the Loomes book there is a Christie, R. Slatherleigh (location unknown) c. 1800

Also, Christie, Robert L. Leith (Scotland) 1860

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
thanks Tom ... the 1860 one must be him! The watch looks like that era ... not 1800.

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
John,

I would say Tom got it spot on with Robert L Leith, I can't find any other makers in any of my reference books.
The movement probably fits the date ok although I've found fusees were more common around that date.
Can't remember offhand when 'going barrels' really came into their own, but it's probably an early one.

Anyway, that's a very nice 'English Lever' watch you have there, which appears quite clean and relatively unmauled too.
As well as the jewelled train, the steel pallets under the lever will have jewel slips inserted into the pallet faces.
Looks like it's sporting a cut compensation balance with Breguet overcoil hairspring too.
Decent maker I'd say!

Nice to see a watch like that still with its original case too - far too many have got separated with the cases melted down for bullion!
Well cleaned, the dial hairlines sorted out and a new crystal, it'll look a treat!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006