• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please ID This Swiss Movement. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Do not have the watch with me, but wold like to see if someone can idenfify the movement. The case is about 51 to 52 mm wide. I know that it's a tall order but any help is appreciated.

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Chris...Those Swiss watches were known to have stampings in all kinds of places and sometimes the only way to find them is to disect the watch. Even then there may be NO identifying marks on it. Unless someone here recognizes it you may have to be content with what looks like a pretty nice watch.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This has some earmarks of a Zenith. The click spring and the wheel train layout for starters.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Guys for your help. Dave, I will look into the Zenith angle and see what I can come find out.

Mean while, here are some more pictures.

Reagards

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted

This was posted By Steve Gossard over at the Military Forum. This is a Zenith movement that to me looks very much like mine.

Reagards

IHC Member 1193

posted
Still confirming the maker. stay tune.

IHC Member 1193

posted
First off. Happy Holidays. A few days ago I got the watch from my friend. Enclosed you will find some photos that contain some markings on the inside of the case dust cover and movement.
Hope this helps.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Beautiful watch Chris!

It certainly has similarities to the Zenith plate layout, but the problem with ID-ing Swiss ebauches, is that many makers outsourced raw casting from the same foundries, which can cloud things a bit.

The mark in the last photo reminded me of the Tavannes factory mark, and there are similarities to it.
Another similar, is the old style 'ETA' mark, but the Tavannes type is the closest.

What we'll never know, is whether the punch that made it wasn't chipped or worn, in a similar way that assay marks get corrupted through worn and broken kit.

Sorry I can't help further, maybe someone else has a better library of factory marks that can chip in.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thanks John. I have followed the Tavannes/Cyma angle and I come up with possible IDs. The Cyma caliber 971, one on ebay with the same blued hand set. The other called"Escasany", also found on ebay.
Uther variations found areCyma calbers 973, 775 and the Tavannes 998 and 970.

Still trying to find the definitive one though.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Happy New Year to all.

IHC Member 1193

posted
Did a little searching on the net and came across a thread that seems to support John's guess that this might be a Tavannes movement, http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=195938&highlight=tavannes
There is a picture of a symbol for Tavannes that appears to be dead on my mine.
From what I can understand my movement accualy could be a Tavannes/Cyma. Now to find what caliber it is.

IHC Member 1193

posted
I'm kind of puzzled by this watch. I don't see a jewel or even a hole for the center wheel pinion. What the heck?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008