Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Anglo-American M'fg. Co. Watch .... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Folks:

I took a flyer on this watch today because I could not find anything out about it, except some references to the Tremont and Dennison Watch Companies.

I do not have this puppy at hand, and will probably not have it for 10 days or so.

I spent several hours trying to find a picture of a similar movement, with no success ..... so have I found the 'missing link' between these folks and Tremont/Dennison, or have I just thrown good money after bad? Three scans total.

Opinions,
Marty

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Two of Three.....

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Three of three........fini....!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
You might have already seen this, I found it while trying to find more for you;

"In February 1871 Aaron moved from Zurich to England where he assembled some watches using parts left over from Zurich and plates from Tremont. He then helped organise the Anglo-American Watch Company in Birmingham, which was to use stock and machinery from the Melrose company. In 1874 the name was changed to the English Watch Manufacturing Company and it appears that Dennison left the company about this time."

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also found this;
"Machine–made chronograph movement by the The English Watch Company Limited. This was formed in 1874 out of the bankrupt Anglo-American Watch Company as originally set up by Aaron L Dennison in Birmingham, England, in 1871 - see the recent publication by Philip Priestley for more information about this most interesting American/English entrepreneur."

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Tom:

I ran across thos blurbs elsewhere, thank you.

What I was wondering out of curiosity is whether there might be another example of my movement extant, or if mine may be scarce or unique, knowing full well that those two terms do not dictate value.

Marty

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I too tried to find another example like yours, I found ones of the company before and ones of the English company after, but none like yours.

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
So, Tom...........what's your gut feeling about this watch? Did I spend foolishly or is there someone out there just looking for an example of this naming?

Do you know of any museums that might shed some light on the subject or even wish to see my photos?

If this is a rarity (not based on monetary value alone) I would rather share it with whomever might have an interest in it and not just put it in a drawer for another 10 years or so, and then have my brilliant progeny sell it at a yard sale for two bucks when we are gone. Mad

I'm sure that you understand,
Marty

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Just an update on this watch..........

Watch arrived this morning and I have absolutley no idea as to what I have. It was grungy, the covers were just about stuck shut, but I managed to open them an get the back cover to work with the button. It had been jammed and was really filthy.

I wound the movement and it took off, slowly, not a full swing, but has been keeping time for the past half hour.

BTW...the case with the springs & brass circle that holds the movement, less the movement, weigh in at 2.29 t.o., so how bad did I do?

More to come when I can figure out more to say.

Marty

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Martin, as I mentioned I haven't been able to find another one but I couldn't give an opinion on how rare or anything else. I am not much of a watch expert, or expert at anything.

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Tom:

We now have an exclusive club of 2, the 'non-expert on anything' club. Smile We can be co-presidents to avoid any problems between us..

Marty

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't know Martin, I have always said any club that would want me as a member, I wouldn't want to join.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, I have to disagree with you on the part of being no expert at anything. If nothing else, you are one heck of an expert in finding things, that's for sure. You have helped me on several occasions.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Krister, I may hit you up for a favor about Swedish firearms information.

IHC Life Member
posted
You do that, and I hope I can give you some good answers or at least point you in the right direction.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009