Internet Horology Club 185
German Watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/856103144

August 12, 2004, 00:04
Glyn Meredith
German Watch
John,

I have no evidence for this, but if my memory serves me correctly, most goods produced anywhere in the world at around that time,if stamped with a country of origin, had that written in English. I think it was an international trading convention, no matter what language prevailed in the country of origin (or intended destination). Maybe it still exists??

Some Internet research could bring up something. but I'm a little busy right now.
August 12, 2004, 14:12
Russ Snyder
Glyn,

It's obvious my fingers type faster than my brain functions -- I meant to type "gegen" and simply blew it.

Russ
"In dieser Gegend gibts keiner dagegen."
August 12, 2004, 19:14
Tom Huber
Hey Russ, Alles ist gute.

Tom
August 13, 2004, 09:51
Greg Crockett
For historical context, here is a propaganda postcard mailed in October, 1914. Arrayed before the spike-helmeted German are his various cartoon adversaries. Belgium has clearly been hit and the “Frankriech” with an African colonial by his side is dropping his weapon in fear. In the background a city is burning. A calm chubby German smiles as he smokes a pipe and passes out rifles. I have not had the card translated yet.

August 13, 2004, 13:20
Russ Snyder
Greg,

A translation of the text in the lower, left-hand corner would be: "Slowly, but surely! One after another!" (or: "One-by-one" we might say.)

Russ
August 13, 2004, 16:04
Greg Crockett
Thanks Russ.

Here is another example of the same watch but with a different back soldered on.