Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Paradoxical "Paragon" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I threw the $10.00 bottom price at this "Paragon" watch and nobody else went after it, so here it is. Beat error 0.2 msec., Timing rate pendant up 18000.5/ sec without touching it. . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So I lift the dial, Guess what, it's a Longines Wittnauer, "Paragon", s/n 1436422 which would be c.a. 1901. Interesting note, it has ONE cap jewel on the exposed side of the Escape wheel jeweling, and also all 17 other jewels. That makes it an 18 Jewel watch by USA standards. With a little dial fill, it will make a nice, accurate $10.00 "Carry Watch"!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dave,

It is intriguing to contemplate watches like this where they are marked as having less jewels than they really have. Another very interesting and often overlooked item. Longines, long known as "The World's Most Honored Watch" are beautifully made and I have found they are always great runners.

A really outstanding Longines closes tonight in our IHC185™ Auctions...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426021842/m/6961092623

Thanks for sharing this one!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nice catch Dave, can't believe some of the prices watches like this go for!

Very often it's the continental filligree hands that do it, for some reason they're not overly popular and actually turn bidders off.

Just goes to show there are some very non-observant bidders still out there (thank goodness)!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006