• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bautte quarter repeater problem "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone advise me on a problem I've got with my Bautte cylinder repeater c. 1840, the repeater function appears to be working perfectly chiming the hours and the quarters in the right order and number of times, the trouble is the chimes are around 4 hours behind the time given by the hands, would it be OK just to remove the hands at noon and the replace them at 4O'clock
regards gerald

gerald

Posts: 64 | Location: Devon, in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 19, 2008
posted
I would say you'd be ok doing that Gerald, it would be my first choice anyway.

Reset both hands and the chimes from the 12 o'clock position and fine tune from that.

If you make a full 12 hour cycle of the minute hand starting both hands from '12', does the hour hand coincide with the '1.00 o'clock' position etc?

The reason I ask, is because if the watch is new to you, it could previously have had the motion work messed with, and may have incorrect gears fitted (yes I've had this happen)!
Really just to check that the hour hand runs a full hour in synch with the minute hand.

I'm not actually familiar with repeaters, but all the gear will be timed from the motionwork anyway I'd have thought?
I'm sure the experts will chime in with sound advice (no pun intended) Big Grin .

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thanks fior the advice, I've done what you suggested and the hour and the minute hand do run properly, so I think I will try just moving the hands around to coincide with the chimes
regards gerald

gerald

Posts: 64 | Location: Devon, in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 19, 2008