Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I am looking for info on this watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
My brother picked this watch up at a sale and is hoping I can find out some information about it. It is key wind and hand set. Where was it made and by whom? Does it have any value? It even runs!

Thanks for any information..

# 1

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted

Bill Carlson

posted
It looks like a Swiss movement but more than that I couldn't say.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
any hallmark inside the case?
these movements were known as caliber Vacheron.
regards enrico

Posts: 25 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 28, 2014
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Enrico, thanks for the information. There is nothing but the word "fine silver" and the number 6246 in the case cover. Nothing on the movement.

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It looks to be a late 1880's "Cylindre" Bar movement. These are very common and fragile. It should be left alone unless it stops. If I had one and wanted it serviced, only a "pro" like Chris Abell would be able to touch it. The case is worth more than the movement, but that said having 1 running cylinder movement in any collection fills out an important historical fact that the Swiss insisted to NOT transition from this tricky escapement-free design to the much more reliable lever escapement designs until the late 19th century allowing the US makers to quickly dominate the North American market.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Thanks for the comments David. I will give my brother this interesting information.

Bill Carlson