Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Haas Neveux Platinum Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Recently picked up this watch and was wondering if anyone new info on it. I have had this name before but like many European watches some models are worth a lot more than others. I know Ethan is familiar with a lot of these type watches. Also as always looking to sell once I figure out if I paid to much for it. Measures right at 45mm across the case without bow or pendant. It has enamel around the outside edge but as you can see it is chipping off in a couple places. The watch is thin 18 jewels and 7 adjustments. Currently it does not run but the balance appears to be ok so may be that it is just gummed up. I do not see any flaws in it except the enamel chips and it needing a COA. Dial mvt and case clean. Total weight of the watch is 48.5 grams platinum.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Back of the watch shows a few light marks from use but I believe they would polish out if someone didn't like them.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Platinum marking

IHC Life Member
posted
18 jewel movement

IHC Life Member
posted
If Ethan or anyone could put a fair value as to what they feel it is worth I would appreciate it. Wink

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I don't think Haas Neveux watches are ardently collected. I have had relatively bad experience with the 5 I have acquired. I sold an 18k HN some years ago for 25% of what I had paid for it (thankfully not that much) because it had an impossible-to-replace broken mainspring and serious balance issues due to a bad prior repair. I returned a very unusual 14k HN to the seller because it had winding issues, the wrong crystal, a bent case, and a crack in the case.

One of the three I still have, one is a very elegant 18k OF watch that runs well, but unaccountably (to me) has a dial screwed in from the front with two almost invisible screws through the dial.

The second of the three is a lovely enameled and bejeweled 28mm watch that has not been a problem.

The third of the three is a wonderfully stylish platinum and diamond HN that I bought for $2400 in 2007 and have spent $610 in repairs and COAs. It's finally running fine, but it took a lot of money to get it there.

So, I am leery of Haas Neveux. I have found them to be troublesome watches, but they usually are ultra elegant.

I wouldn't buy another HN unless I was sure that it was in great mechanical shape. Your watch isn't running now. That's a big red flag for me.

As to value, I have many similar platinum watches. They usually sell for $1-2,000. Your watch is not nearly as stylish as the one I paid $2400 for in 2007, but it is very attractive. My enameler could repair the chipped enamel for about $100.

So, I think a fair price would be around $1100 if the watch is sold as is, or about $1600 if the buyer could return the watch if it has serious mechanical issues.

Other folks may disagree.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Well Thanks Ethan the mainspring appears to be fine as it wound ok. I have dealt with watches enough to spot some troubles but of coarse you never know for sure until you get into the watch for a repair. I could send the watch off to have it serviced before selling but I usually rather turn it around quickly. If you or anyone is truly interested I wouldn't hesitate to send it off for servicing or if they have someone in mind I could send it to buyer with condition of full refund if it has more issues than a simple COA.
Thanks again for your input wonder how much value is in platinum in these cases??
Any interest from anyone let me know as I might pop it on Ebay to see if any interest.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I keep all my watches in a bank vault, except for small numbers I bring home from time to time. I happen to have five platinum watches here, an Ed. Koehn, a Touchon, a Merimont, a Longines, and two Cress Arrow-cased C.H. Meylans. I weighed them. All but the Touchon weighed between 50-55 grams. The Touchon weighed 45 grams. If the movement, crystal and other non-precious metal parts weigh 25 grams (which is about what they would weigh), the platinum/iridium in these cases weighs 20-30 grams. The scrap value would range for $675-$1087, net of fees, according to one refiner's handy calculator. http://www.midstatesrecycling....um-metallics-pt-only

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005