Internet Horology Club 185
Swiss Repeater Questions

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/7323925287

May 26, 2014, 13:31
Ron Adkins
Swiss Repeater Questions
I have a Swiss Repeater that I need some help identifying. The only markings on the movement that I can see without removing it or the dial is "No 102" in the Swiss cross. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

May 27, 2014, 06:23
Gerald Zimmermann
Hi Ron

Welcome to the IHC 185

The swiss patent# 102 was applied for Bernard Reber; Le Locle; Switzerland 15th nov 1888 and I think he actualy was the maker of the watch. Are there any hallmarks on the watchcase ?

Regards
Gerald
May 27, 2014, 08:26
Ron Adkins
Thanks for the info Gerald. The only case marking is pictured below.

It seems to be an 18K solid gold case, and possibly the original case from what I can see. What kind of approximate value would you put on this piece?
June 09, 2014, 21:53
Bruce Byrd
Very nice watch! I love my repeater.. Love the chiming..
I do have a question.. Maybe for the folks more versed in repeaters.. The cuvée says it's a 32j watch.. With that many jewels, wouldn't the hammers be jeweled? I'm wondering if it was re-cased at some point in its lifetime? It is still
A nice watch!

Bruce Byrd
June 10, 2014, 13:41
Gerald Zimmermann
Bruce

I would deny a recase; not an easy job to recase a repeater and it is too coherent - it just fits.

The jewel quest: you would be right if it was just a sole repeater - it's a repeater - chronograph and the center seconds are like 5 jewels. Note that the two hammers are stagged and not on two opposite sides as usual. The patent says that the pin you might think off as hammer pinion is just an aisle ;the two hammers move independent (there could be jewels on the hammers). Assuming the jewels come in pairs the repeater would have 6 - and there is one level( under the dial) unseen.

If you like to see the whole movement:

Reber watch

sorry french Smile

Regards
Gerald