• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines Private Label "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is a movement I picked up hoping to fill an empty hunter case. It turns out that it was Swiss and too small.
It is a nice piece labeled Fred J. Johnston on the dial and F. J. Johnston and Bradford, Pa on the movement.
Would any one have any idea of the age? The serial number is 1240224. There is no information on it in the Price Guide.

Joe

Here is what it looks like.

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Looks pretty similar to one I have, mine is in a Gold Case and an "O" size. Open face.

Galt & Bro. Wahington, D.C. Also in the same serial #range

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
posted
I should have given the size and jewel count. I think it is 16 Linges and has 15 jewels. Under the dial it is marked Wittnauer over Longines. I have not found Swiss anywhere on it. The balance cock is also marked in english.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I can't tell you anything about the watch, but there sure is a lot on the net about the Fred J Johnston House and Museum! Could it be the same?

It's listed in New York, but that doesn't make a difference when it comes to that area, many lived in, and worked in, both places from my experience with researching items.

Wish I could tell you about it though, good luck.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I forgot, it looks a lot like many Gruen's I have seen too. Sure wish I knew how to tell the different Swiss watches, one from the other.

Nice Dial too!

Sheila

posted
Longines-Wittnauer Watch Co., Inc. was located at 580 Fith Ave. New York, N.Y. They imported watches.

Longines IS a Swiss company that is still in production, and has a great site with lots of history and information.

There can't be much doubt about the watch being Swiss.

If you do a search you will find a great Ad for the Longines-Wittnauer Watch Co. with lots of watches on it.

I think you have a pretty neet watch there, and I bet it's either a private label watch, or the name is a Jewelry company that ordered the watch from Longines-Wittnauer.

As far as the date goes, I bet if you ask at their museum, they could look it up and tell you about it. They have a record of every watch made since 1832.

the information is listed on their site.

Sheila