• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with maker's name & logo "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Below is a picture of a somewhat gaudy, but impressive looking movement from an 18s (or thereabouts) pocket watch. It has all the earmarks of being Swiss in origin. Can you get a sense of how steep the walls of the jewel settings are in the plate? The dial is Elgin and of no help in identifying the maker.

Notice the maker's logo. I thought I could see W.C. for "Watch Company". Maybe one of you will recognize the name of this company. I'm not having any luck identifying their mark with my meager resources. Help!
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

The mark was trademarked to the Schwob, Adolf., NYC, it was filed for July 12, 1905 for Watches & parts thereof. I will do some looking but I think Adolf Schwob was an importer of Swiss made watches into this country.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is another post where the same company was looked at;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...91010082/m/377100711

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from First record of the class of nineteen hundred six of Princeton university

schwob

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, That is most interesing. I Just gave one of these to a friend to practice working on Cylinder escapement movements. They are very pretty looking, and with yours I would bet money the ratchet-free winding wheels are for show only. Nifty stuff.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007