Internet Horology Club 185
Vulliamy Fusee Dumb Repeater

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/7253978877

June 20, 2013, 18:45
Gary Yeh
Vulliamy Fusee Dumb Repeater
Didn't think I'd need the help of IHC mere hours after becoming a member, but I'm baffled!

Is this a quarter repeater?

It seems to chime the hours and the quarters, but I don't understand why the central snail has eight "slots" instead of four for the quarters.

*Keep in mind, this is a verge DUMB repeater*

Thanks

June 20, 2013, 20:46
Gary Yeh
Did some research since I posted this and it's actually a half-quarter repeater. It was a little confusing, trying to listen for the difference, but quarter and half-quarter repeaters are actually very similar in the way they are constructed and the way they function. Essentially, only a few components are altered for the difference. This type of movement construction dates to around 1775.
June 20, 2013, 22:50
Gerald Zimmermann
Hi Gary

You are correct. It is a half quarter repeater !
Those watches are not so often found. I would like to see more pictures ( other side, dial, side view, etc)

Regards
Gerald
June 20, 2013, 23:30
Gary Yeh
This side of the movement is actually quite pretty - the diamond endstone is massive!

June 20, 2013, 23:31
Gary Yeh
Picture of the dial, which is surprisingly perfect for its age. Unfortunately no hands Frown

June 20, 2013, 23:32
Gary Yeh
A more "dramatic" picture of the repeat mechanism

June 20, 2013, 23:33
Gary Yeh
Image of the hammers (for those unfamiliar with dumb repeaters, the hammers are the long metallic things touching the base plate - remember, no gongs here!)

June 20, 2013, 23:35
Gary Yeh
Last picture - close up of the cylinder escapement. You can also see one of the hammers at the bottom right.

Here's a video of the movement (goes through all angles and shows the dumb repeater at work): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOoqJ_avCN8

June 21, 2013, 00:37
Gerald Zimmermann
Gary

That's a great watch (well movement)!

To me Vulliamy is the master of the unexpected.
The variations of their watches is astonishing, and the finishing is superbe. The high polish of the steel parts is one of the reasons of the near perfect conservation. This rare combination of a half quarter dumb repeater with a cylinder movement ( british style, brass or in this case gold escapement wheel) is worth every penny spend.
Too bad it is just a sole movement (the other way round - if this was a watch complete it would be out of reach (money talk))

Thank's for showing

Regards
Gerald
June 21, 2013, 05:46
Gerald Zimmermann
Gary

The repeater mechanism is the british Stockten-type, named after his inventor Matthew Stockten (Stockton, Stockdon or Stogden), who worked with famous makers like Daniel Quare and George Graham.

Gerald
June 23, 2013, 01:04
Gary Yeh
Thanks for the info Gerald - the history behind these watches is incredible!

I'm glad to have shared the watch since I now finally have a place to do so
June 23, 2013, 02:52
Gerald Zimmermann
Hi Gary

I am happy to see a young person with the interest, the respect and the skills to work with those old and complicated watches !

You mentioned the huge diamond endstone, Vulliamy used clear and well facetted endstones in near jewelry quality.
One other thing about him; Since the days of his partnership with Gray he used a still unresolved 3-4 letter code on his movements. Can you confirm that the code on this watch is 'x i d' ?

Regards
Gerald
June 23, 2013, 23:43
Gary Yeh
I had realized the nice quality of the diamond before but just took another look and you're right about the near jewelry quality. The facets are amazing...

The code is definitely "x i _". I had originally thought the last letter was an "s" but you could be right that it's a "d". So either "x i s" or "x i d". Is there any inkling of what they might mean?

I'll be listing the watch for sale soon - would you mind if I used some of the info you gave me in the listing? It's fascinating, and I think people ought to know every last detail!
June 24, 2013, 00:14
Gary Yeh
Also, you mentioned that he worked with Gray (Benjamin?), so do these markings confirm that Justin Vulliamy made this watch and not one of his children/descendants?
June 24, 2013, 03:48
Gerald Zimmermann
Gary

Feel free to use the informations !

The letter code was introduced by Benjamin Gray (possibly whwn Justun Vulliamy joined and became later son-in-law and companion). The three letters were used through the three generations of Vulliamy's and changed to four letters ca 1815. The code is nor resolved(as far as i know). It is likely the serial number. With this code it is nearly impossible to put this watches in a serial and chronological order.

Only a few Vulliamy watches are 'full-capped' meaning the balance cock is screwed down on thwo sides.

The watch is signed just with 'Vulliamy'. I have the feeling that it was made by Justin's son Benjamin.(his son Benjamin Lewis was born 1780 - the watch was not made in his working time)

If i have more information i will update.

Regards
Gerald
June 24, 2013, 06:02
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Hi Gary,

I see you've already availed yourself of what I consider the best feature of IHC185, the sharing of horological be information in a friendly, collegial atmosphere.

You learned something about your neat old watch, and by reading the thread, even hardened old railroad watch collectors like me can learn something. I don't know much about this type of watch except that back in the day you had to be quite well-off to own one. It looks like a lot of exquisite hand-done work and expensive materials.

Best Regards,

Ed
June 24, 2013, 08:41
Gerald Zimmermann
Thank's Ed :

Friendly collegial beyond all frontiers - an amazing place to learn, to share and spread out knowledge!

By the way: Gary could you adjust the title of this thread to something like ..fusee repeater..? Smile

Regards
Gerald
June 24, 2013, 12:34
Gary Yeh
Gerald - My apologies! I've been working on a few watches, one of which has a verge escapement. Must've mixed em up.

The more information you divulge, the more interesting this watch becomes. I don't have the capabilities just yet, but if I ever do, I think it would be a cool project to track down as many Vulliamy watches as possible and create an index that could possibly help decipher this mysterious code! Thanks again for your help - it's much appreciated.

Ed - you're definitely right about this feature of the IHC! Like I said earlier, didn't think I'd be taking advantage of the treasure troves of knowledge here this early, but I couldn't be happier that I joined.